Foundation for a Drug-Free Europe was formed in March 2004 with the firm purpose of preventing and stopping debilitating drug use through educating non-users concerning the harmful effects that drugs can inflict upon the body, mind and personality, and by finding and directing existing users to programmes that can help them achieve comfortable abstinence for life.
To achieve the goal of a drug-free Europe, the Foundation collaborates with local, national and international institutions as well as effective rehabilitation programmes which also use drug-free methods and carry out positive prevention education campaigns. We know from experience that joining forces with likeminded groups and developing positive, open cooperation and solidarity with others makes the difference.
The Foundation aims:
- to work within democratic, open and transparent procedures of communication, decision making and accountability in order to find and execute solutions to the drug problem and help create drug-free European societies;
- to monitor the development and implementation of European legislation, as well national legislation, and to debate and discuss it in public lectures, in writing or through the mass media;
- to create and put into action drug prevention projects and campaigns that could be presented to and supported by governments and institutions;
- to elaborate cycles of conferences, roundtables or other public debates focused around the different aspects of drug abuse in Europe;
- to collaborate with likeminded groups and organizations, in the different projects or campaigns the Foundation will conduct;
- to pursue through other legal means the creation of a drug-free Europe and bring about a culture that widely refuses the use of drugs or the promotion thereof, and fully recognises the danger that drug abuse carries for the people and for society at large.
Experience has taught us that when people in general, and youth in particular, understand the negative effects of drugs, as explained by those who have done them, they decide to stay away from drugs which is, of course, the ultimate purpose of the Foundation.
Bringing the Truth about Drugs
With the increasing problem of drug consumption within the European Union and abroad, a coordinated network of primary prevention groups is bringing real facts on the harmful effects of drugs to youth and people at large.
Through more than a hundred groups operating in 22 countries, the Foundation for a Drug-Free Europe carries out grass-roots prevention activities using tools that reveal to one and all the hard reality of drugs.